Thursday, September 19, 2013

I can't believe.....

Just a quick share!  I'm trying, slowly but surely, to get some stuff in order.  For instance, on my list for today is "unloading" dishes, china, etc. from my mom which I know my son will never use.  I have gotten extensive use out of the china as before I opened the store I never let a week go by when I wasn't entertaining at home.  The china definitely got used.
 Desert Rose - Francescan Ware
Florentine Gold - Wedgewood

Years ago there used to be a place in Pickering and another in Scarborough that bought and sold "old" china patterns.  I have tried calling these places and contacting these places to no avail.  The second hand stores here are not interested as they have an overflow of these things, on top of which, there pricing is based on the seller receiving 60% of the sale price which they continue to reduce as it sits on the shelves.  At the end of the day - you get nothing.  I would rather give it away then settle for this.

In order to "unload" it I have gotten in touch with Replacement China Ltd. in North Carolina.  This of course, requires that I pack it and send it to them.  They are an extremely reputable company and I am awaiting their Offer To Purchase which will give me an idea of how much each of the pieces are worth.  Of course, this will also require me to repack the boxes and there will be shipping costs so we will have to see if it will be worth the effort.  It is nothing less than frustrating.

You know, it's funny.  My mother collected all kinds of items which she thought to be "an investment".  China, artwork, books, some antique items, etc. and of course, when she passed away (3 years ago today) I inherited all of this.  I only took the things that I thought would be "worth" something and yet it appears that in 2013, these things are worth very little.  Is it the economic climate we live in or is it just that everyone has changed their tastes?!?!

I need to get this china outta here so I can make room for my ironing board LOL.  I need to get back to quilting and I really need my pressing corner......

Aside from the fact that I could really use the cash for the dishes rather than the dishes themselves, I could really use the room......

I am going back to organizing and getting stuff together so I can make some much needed space as well as get back to what I love doing...

Have a great day everyone!

Jo-Ann

P.S. - If anyone is interested in these dishes - don't hesitate to let me know!!!

1 comment:

  1. Found the same thing when I tried getting rid of my mom's stuff. What was worth something is now worth very little. I tried a company called TJ Traders, they bought a fair amount and gave me a fair price, not a great one but a fair one. There is also a place called the Singing Lady down on the Queensway near Royal York Road (right near the Costco). She can be particular but may take some of the stuff. Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete