Saturday, September 21, 2013

I'm so excited.....

I'm like a kid in the candy store today.  I was invited to join the "Stitch & Bitch" tomorrow (Saturday) at Gail's.  This is the continuation of that once a month Sunday "Stitch & Bitch" I used to host at the store.  First, I am absolutely honoured to be included and second, this will be the first time I am having a "sewing" outing since I closed the store.

It was a bit difficult deciding what to take along so Liz popped over this afternoon to help me with the packing (okay, I know, it's only a day thing but still, you have to have choices!).  For some reason I was leaning towards flannel quilts?!?!  This was a little weird for me since I don't really do a lot of flannel quilts but, I knew I had one completed that needed a backing and two more which I had started piecing so I thought it was a good theme to go with.

The first quilt is a scrappy quilt made from 6" inch squares purchased years ago at the Hobby Horse.  I had cut them into triangles and made half square triangles which were sewn together as the centre and one of the borders (larger pic tomorrow when someone can hold it up).  I have the fabric for the backing plus a bunch of extra squares I can use so the plan is to get that done so I can take it to Sandy (Lindal) on Monday and get it basted. I'm going to "big stitch" quilt it by hand with Pearl Cotton.
 Project #1

The second project is Yellow Brick Road in flannel.  This was from a kit I purchased on a trip to visit my grandmother in New Jersey in 2000 at a great store, Patchwork & Pies which used to be just off I 81 in upstate New York near Cortland.  I used to stop there every time I went down to New Jersey.  Most of this is cut and ready to go but I'm a little confused as to how big it's supposed to be....duh!  Started it about two years ago when I had a private student who was a beginner and wanted to make this quilt.....should go pretty quickly......
Project #2

Project #3 is a quilt called Bricks & Mortar which I started probably some time in the first year I had the store.  It combines flannel and the  Faux Ultra Suede I had in the store and is made up of all different flannels from the store as well.  I really like the pattern and think it's definitely worth finishing.  Not to mention, it is already partially pieced so again, should move along quickly.
Project #3

I know, I know - too much!  However, Liz and I discussed it and we came to the conclusion that "variety is the spice of life".  I may only get one thing done or be lucky enough to get something done on each of these projects.  I'm just so excited to be able to get back to my sewing machine, (it's been quite a while - probably at least 92 days!)in a place where I can actually set up the machine and sew..... Whatever gets done will be an improvement on what has been done!!!

Speaking of done - I managed to finish another Farmers' Wife block today.  This is the last block I need to complete the row I was working on.  Now I can finish the row and attach it to the growing quilt top.  (I have 66 blocks done!)

Block #78 - Shooting Star - 26 pieces

I was interrupted (happily-I might add) in the midst of completing the row when Liz called and mentioned a quilting dilemma she was having.  I immediately volunteered to come over and take a look!!!  I had an ulterior motive!  I wanted to drive the new car! Actually, I just wanted to drive, since I haven't driven since the night I drove home from the store on June 29th.  Jonathan and everyone else I know (Liz, Gillian, Linda, etc.) have been driving me everywhere.  Since I'm going to drive to Gail's on my own tomorrow I figured a little practice wouldn't hurt.  It's like riding a bike - except for the red light I almost drove through....ugh!  (Don't tell my son or he won't let me have the car again - ha,ha!)  

Lurch (the Kia Sportage) finally died about a month ago and we replaced her/him with a 2002 Ford Escape which, if tonight is any indication, is a dream to drive.  I haven't come up with a new name yet because I haven't really driven her at all but I know it's gonna be something sleek!!!

Liz and I came up with a solution to her dilemma and were planning to sit outside for a bit when the downpour started so we had a spot of tea and muffins inside and I finally left her at around 1:00 A.M. - so much for getting some sewing done Liz - sorry!!!  However, I really enjoyed getting out of the house - especially since it was last minute and unplanned. Felt almost normal!!!!

Okay, I'm off to bed now - need my beauty sleep!  It's a long drive up to Maple.

Have a great day everyone and happy quilting!

Jo-Ann

1 comment: