To bring everyone up to date - before I fell prey to the side effects of this illness, I had one of the best and truly productive days at Studio C with all the wonderful ladies from the Etobicoke Quilters Guild at the Neilson Park Creative Centre. I managed to get quite a bit done on one of my flannel projects with the help of Sylvia who was kind enough to be my "pressing princess" as well as helping me do a fair bit of "unstitching". Thank you ladies for a lovely day. I hope to take advantage of Studio C in the near future, now that I am feeling quite a bit better.
Since the last time I blogged (September 23rd) I have managed to complete, although I'm not sure how, 10 of my Farmer's Wife Blocks. Most were done before I fell ill and then in the last few days I have finally gotten back to them. I have 76 of 111 blocks done which is more than two-thirds of the blocks. Only 35 blocks to go! Here are the blocks I've completed......
Block #103 - Whirlwind - 21 pieces
Block #90 - Single Wedding Ring - 29 pieces
Block #91 - Strawberry Basket - 28 pieces
Block #87 - Star Gardener - 57 pieces
After these 4 blocks were completed I began working on Row #7 which consists of 13 blocks. I have been working on these blocks with an alternating method. I choose them in groups of 5. I choose my fabrics for the 5 blocks and them mark and cut and stitch. One group is chosen in order as they appear in the rows that I am working on and then the next group is chosen in numerical order and stored in my Farmer's Wife binder. I'm finding this method is really working for me. I also have been marking and cutting sashing strips in between each set of 5 blocks and have now completed the 252 sashing strips required for the Queen Size quilt.
Block #61 - Northern Light - 12 pieces
Block #60 - Noon & Light - 28 pieces
Block #59 - Night & Day - 24 pieces
Block #58 - Mother's Dream - 17 pieces
There are only 4 blocks in the above group and there is a perfectly good explanation for that. I made a mistake! I actually needed one of the 5 blocks to complete Row 6 and I didn't want to wait until I got to this group to complete the row. They are now stored in my binder.
Block #65 - Peaceful Hours - 37 pieces
Block #20 - Storm Signal - 20 pieces
The last two blocks will go to completing Row #7 and once I complete the 5 blocks in this group, Row #7 will be completed along with some of the stored blocks in my binder. Once I complete Row #7 I will have 8 more rows to complete, 2 more rows of 13 blocks, 1 of 11 blocks, 1 of 9 blocks, 1 of 7 blocks, 1 of 5 blocks, 1 of 3 blocks and the last row of 1 block.
I'm glad I chose to begin assembling the quilt as I was stitching the blocks, this seems to be going faster. It is encouraging to see the quilt top coming together and since I am stitching the whole quilt top by hand it is nice to work on different parts of the project as I go.
Hopefully I will also get back to doing some machine work as well. I really do miss that but unfortunately I have not really been able to get back to it since my wonderful day at Studio C. As a matter of fact, I haven't even unpacked my machine since that day.
The house is a complete disaster! Although Jonathan tries (not extremely hard), he does work very hard and very long hours. Now that I'm feeling better, I am slowly tackling one room at a time. So far - the bathroom is done!!!! I have started on the kitchen but it's no where near done....slow and steady wins the race! Off to get stuff done......
Have a great day everyone!