Saturday, February 16, 2013

What???

What have I started????

This past Thursday evening was Scrapaholics/Stashbusters Club and I brought in my "scrap basket".  I'm not sure that that's all there is but it was certainly enough to get started with. 

Last weekend was my Birthday Retreat and I was inspired bu Chris O. who has all of her scraps organized so that she can actually work on many, many projects at a time.  Also, of late, I have been motivated by the Bonnie Hunter books available - String Fling and Adventures with Leaders and Enders.

I decided that Thursday nights class/club would focus on organizing scraps.  I had no idea that many of you already do this and was thrilled to get some more good tips.   

 The above picture shows the beginnings of my organization project.  From right to left, I have strips in similar sizes, above these piles are pre-cut blocks in the same sizes and the large pile to the far left are large pieces and strips of fabric that either need to go back into the stash if they are large enough or be cut up into strips or blocks for future use.  Now that I've got a start on this, I will press the strips and put them into "shoe boxes", the see-through kind and label them as to what they are so future projects can be made from them.
The above picture is what is left in my scrap basket that still has to be sorted.  I have decided, since time is a premium for me, that I will devote 1 hour a day to this until it is done.  Half the time to be spent pressing and putting away the strips - which will be "filed" by colour and value and the other half sorting through the rest of the scrap basket.  At this point it looks like I have salvaged all the strips and am now looking at mostly small pieces of fabric - i.e. blocks, triangles, etc.  Once all of this is sorted I will decide on my future projects.

I think one of the most fun portions of this excercise for me was remembering which quilts each of the scraps came from.  Some of them date back to the very beginning and if I'm not mistaken there are still a few piles of "scraps" at home that can be added to these to actually make complete projects....

As a quilt store owner, I have to say, it is hard to sell fabric this way.  But, I look at it another way.  I will still need borders, bindings and backings to complete these "scrap" quilts as will you so in fact - there is still a market out there for fabric......

If I have a little time tomorrow (the girls are coming from Barrie so I may have a few moments after lunch), I will show you one of the projects I have in mind.  I'm excited about it because it is my "own" idea and I think it will be really nice.  Possibly a quilt for Healing Heroes. 

For now - I have to get to the books!  Plus, I have some studying to do - I received the template for our new shopping cart/website so I have to hone up on my virtually non-existent computer skills.

Have a great day everyone!

Jo-Ann

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see! I want you to know, you've inspired me to make my own quilt. It's going to be simple - 4x4 squares in 4 colors. This is my first quilt project. I just got a Singer One and am excited to try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to inspire! If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to call the store (416)785-4449 or our toll free # if you're not in the city. I love to share any tips that can help.

    ReplyDelete