Thursday, February 16, 2012

Miracles Do Happen!!!!!

JONATHAN GOT A JOB!!!!  (My son, for those of you who don't know)  For those of you who do know, you realize that this is really a miracle!  It is so BIG a miracle that it almost overtakes the fact that on February 8th - the day before my Birthday - I was at the oncologist and got a CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH!!!  I am officially cancer free for 4 months and 12 days as of today!  Yeah me!!!!

However, it appears, even with my renewed energy level and my new outlook on life I cannot squeeze more than 24 hours out of one day!!!!  I have been very busy in the store, working 6 days a week and loving it but also trying to reorganize and restock and even find time to teach some classes.....

As you can well imagine this all cuts into my "quilting" time!!!! Ugh!!!  At any rate, the apartment is coming along slowly and I finally got "Bernie" set up and went straight to a project I have been working on - it seems forever!  I am quilting my Winnie The Pooh design and it should be kitted and available in the store in about 2 weeks.....

 I've also designed the Mystery Quilt and like a good girl, went to my stash to find the fabrics I want to use.  I am waiting for a "smushie" to arrive in the store as I don't have enough of the hot pink to make the sample.  (You will be getting fabric requirements shortly and I think the class may already be full!)
I've also started teaching a beginner student, Shirley, and we are having a fun time working on a quilt kit she bought for her daughter.  The pattern is Yellow Brick Road but unfortunately I made a big BooBoo when starting her off and didn't read the pattern right!!!  Duh!  By the time we are done it will be a completely different pattern!!!

These are Shirley's fabrics, one of my favourite combos - Black, White and a touch of red!


As luck would have it, I bought a kit to make this quilt about 12 years ago on one of my trips to New Jersey.  It's been in my "kit cupboard" waiting for an opportunity to jump out and become a quilt....  I thought it would be cool if I worked side by side with Shirley to make this quilt and so these are my colours, and they are lucious flannels!

In my beginner classes I always take the time to explain thread choices and would like to mention that now.  I chose a neutral medium beige to piece my quilt, that way the stitching will not show.  Shirley is using white thread for hers and should be fine with that.  It's important to try to keep your thread choices neutral or even try to match them to the colours you are working with.  This way, your seams with just blend into the block designs.  Just a "little" quilt tip to make your day! 

On that note, I better get my act together, it's late and I have to leave for the store in 20 minutes!  I'm not even dressed yet......see what I mean, only 24 hours in a day!!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Jo-Ann

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the non-cancer diagnosis. Keep up the good work! You have Winnnie the Pooh fabric that you're making into kits? When? I need one. My son's girlfriend is pregnant and she loves Winnie the Pooh and I didn't know there was such fabric. Let me know when it's available. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete