Thursday, January 31, 2013

Idle hands....

Just so you won't think I have been idle for the past few days - I finished Block # 44 - Gentleman's Fancy on Monday night.  This is definitely one of my favourite blocks -went together very quickly.  Would consider doing a quilt of this block.....

Block #44 - Gentleman's Fancy

I started another block Monday night but have been having trouble with it and have had to take it out a few times already.  Worked diligently on it Monday night and Tuesday night but have still not finished it....

Last night I did nothing "quilty" at all.  It was a very sad day and I guess I just needed to sit back and reflect.  I have two extremely close friends, Mucie and Dov, whom I've known for over 40 years now.  We are like family - I am godmother to both of their children, Oren and Sarah Tamar and they are Jonathan's godparents.  Last Sunday at 11:15 a.m.,Dov's mother passed away.  As is our religious tradition, she was buried on Monday.  I had Mary come in to the store and I managed to get to the funeral.  Of course there were many people there whom I never see being so busy at the store, and we all parted saying we would meet again in April (Sarah's wedding day).

On Tuesday evening I received a call from Mucie telling me that Dov's father had passed at 11:17 a.m. that morning, the funeral was yesterday afternoon.  To say we were all in shock was an understatement!  Jesse and Sam were married for 68 years and spent their last days at Baycrest, Sam suffering from dymensia and Jesse needing a little extra care.  Jesse always wondered whether in the last few years if Sam knew she was there for him.  Well, I would have to say that not only did he know that she was there but that he did her the honour of allowing her to leave first so that she would not suffer his loss.  In fact, I believe that once she reached her destination, she prepared her new space and then called him to her.  They were inseparable in life and so it should be that they be inseparable in death.  They were laid to rest side by side and we can all take solace in the belief that they are joined hand in hand looking down on us, free from any pain and suffering.

As we all know this does not relieve the suffering of the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren left behind but we have been on our own for many years and will continue our day to day activities, every once in awhile wanting to share our days with our parents.  We have been blessed to be a generation whom with medical technology has had the opportunity to enjoy our parents who have lived to their 80's, 90's and beyond.

For me personally, Jesse and Sam, were the last of my "family's" elders to pass so I find this particularly sad.  When my uncle passed in August 2010 and then my mother in September of the same year I had no time to grieve.  I was busy with the store and it was just before my health issues became evident.....I will now take the time to grieve, for Jesse, for Sam, for my mother, for my uncle.  It is time! 

Tonight I will go home and hopefully go back to my quilting - it is both relaxing and soothing (although that block that I am working on is extremely frustrating - I may just put it aside for now).  I need something that is mindless.....

Have a great day everyone!

Jo-Ann   

1 comment:

  1. Jo-Ann, I am sorry for your losses.
    On lighter note I love the fabrics/colours in your Farmer's Wife.
    I am almost 1/3 of the way thru radiation and hanging in there.Will get to the new store soon maybe?
    btw. You should write a book. You are a very skilled writer with great vocabulary and thoughtful ideas.Consider it!!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete