Sunday, February 20, 2011

Seriously?!?!?!

Why can't I just do things the easy way?   The "new" project is made up of Snowball Blocks which means I have to cut the corners off once they are sewn....of course, there are now two perfectly good and useable triangles left over!  The "waste not, want not" part of my brain kicks in and starts designing the second project which will now be called "From Snowballs Come Flakes!"

......and my first instinct is to save the triangles for this - however, my "NEW" organized personna decides - why not just sew them up now.....8 - 12-1/2" snowball corners netted me 32 corners which gave me 16 blocks measuring......4-1/4" !  Depending on what happens I may cut them down to 4" so they will be 3-1/2" finished!
I confessed my insanity to Barb!  Have I told you that Barb is a genious - a quilter guru?!?!
She suggested that for the balance of the blocks I do something amazingly simple! 

Sew all my corners on - then measure 1/2" from my sewing line and sew again......so I measured and marked my new sewing line......

I sewed all four corners again on the new sewing line.......
I cut the corners 1/4" from the first sewing line, and......

Voila!  I have 64 HST's (half square triangles) measuring 2".......and my original 16 snowball blocks......
How easy was that - took a little longer but you have to take into account that I am now working on two projects at once......

Now the 4-1/2" snowball blocks, just one change here - I am measuring 1/4" from the original sewing line - when I cut I will cut 1/8" from the sewing line giving me a 1/8" seam on each corner and each HST.  However, the original corner square is 1-7/8" so the HST will be between 1- 1-1/2" and I want them as large as I can get them - I will have 44 snowball blocks and 176 HST's when I'm done......certainly enough of a secondary yield of blocks to make something interesting!
You can see the measurement here......
Okay - I'd better keep going or I won't get either of these projects done.....that's what happens when you take on more than you can handle!  I'll keep you posted.....

Have a great day everyone!

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment